Custom Made Foot Orthotics, also known as custom orthotics, are individually prescribed medical devices made from a non weight-bearing scan or cast of your feet.
Custom Made Foot Orthotics are designed to be worn in place of the innersole inside your shoes, to improve the postural alignment and function of your feet in order to prevent or treat injuries caused by abnormal foot motion such as pronation (rolling in) and supination (rolling out). They can also be used to balance the weight-bearing pressures beneath the foot, and to make activities such as walking and running more efficient.
When are Custom Made Foot Orthotics recommended?
Custom Made Foot Orthotics are usually prescribed when abnormal foot posture is contributing to back, hip, knee, leg, ankle or foot pain. They have many medical applications, including:
- reducing the long-term effects of trauma injuries such as sprains and fractures
- relieving pain caused by overuse injuries such as plantar fasciitis, achilles tendinopathy, peroneal tendonitis, shin splints, patellofemoral syndrome and posterior tibial tendon dysfunction
- preventing or managing foot ulcers in people with diabetes
- relieving foot fatigue in people with arthritis
- preventing or halting the development of foot deformities such as bunions and hammertoe
- preventing or treating problems in children such as flat feet, intoed gait, growth plate inflammation, Sever’s disease and Osgood-Schlatter disease
- reducing injury occurrence and increasing performance in people active in sports
What are Orthema CAD/CAM Custom Made Foot Orthotics?
The Orthema CAD/CAM (Computer Aided Design/Computer Aided Manufacture) foot orthotic fabrication system is a revolutionary Swiss design introduced to Foot Health Clinic in 2013.
It enables our podiatrists to prescribe, design and manufacture your orthotics on site, in person, and without the delays caused by having to transfer your prescription to an external laboratory.
How are Orthema CAD/CAM Custom Made Foot Orthotics made?
Orthema CAD/CAM Custom Made Foot Orthotics begin with a thorough physical examination by your podiatrist, including a complete biomechanical examination comprising:
- a foot posture assessment
- a visual gait analysis
- a footwear assessment
- Your podiatrist then uses the the Orthema computer aided digitiser to scan the exact contours of your feet in their corrected standing position, determined during your physical examination.
- Your podiatrist enters any additional information into the Orthema system, then electronically transfers your scans to a computer aided milling maching to carve your orthotics.
- The material for your orthotics is selected by your podiatrist from 19 different milling blocks, comprising different densities and density combinations of EVA rubber or cork.
- Once you are fitted with your orthotics, your podiatrist stores your scans and prescription in the Orthema system, enabling you to order additional orthotics to the same prescription at a reduced cost.
What are the advantages of Orthema CAD/CAM Custom Made Foot Orthotics?
The Orthema CAD/CAM system offers several advantages over conventional prescription orthotics, including:
- no messy, uncomfortable plaster casts – your feet are scanned entirely digitally
- precise scans of your feet in their corrected positions – the 512 sensors on the Orthema computer-aided digitiser are measured to an accuracy of 0.1mm
- no risk of damage to your casts during transit to an external laboratory
- a range of different orthotic blocks, enabling your podiatrist to select the most comfortable density or density combination for you
- a rapid turnaround on your orthotics – Orthema CAD/CAM prescription orthotics can be ready in as little as a day
- onsite digital storage of your scans and prescription
- Orthema CAD/CAM Custom Made Foot Orthotics are very comfortable – in fact, once you have completed the initial wearing-in process, you should barely be aware that you are wearing them. Most people report that they feel significantly more comfortable wearing their orthotics than not wearing them.
- One of the most important parts of orthotic therapy is appropriate follow-up, so if you have a problem with orthotic fit, function, comfort, shoe fit or any other issue, your podiatrist will be able to troubleshoot the problem and address any concerns.
Are Orthema CAD/CAM Custom Made Foot Orthotics claimable on my private health insurance?
- Many private health funds contribute to the cost of Custom Made Foot Orthotics as part of extras cover. Contact your private health fund to see if you are covered for prescription orthotics.
- Foot Health Clinic offers HICAPS on-the-spot electronic rebate for your convenience.
What should I do if I need prescription orthotics?
- The podiatrists at Foot Health Clinic have a combined 30 years’ experience in identifying and correcting orthotic problems.
- With the introduction of the Orthema CAD/CAM system we now have complete control of the prescription, design and manufacturing of your orthotics, which helps us to ensure that your orthotics are comfortable and are providing the best biomechanical support for your feet.
- If you feel you could benefit from Orthema CAD/CAM Custom Made Foot Orthotics, contact us.
- You can also learn more about Orthema CAD/CAM Custom Made Foot Orthotics at the Orthema Australasia website.